The goal of this step is to partially solve the corners. You want them in the right place, but not necessarily flipped the right way. You move the corner pieces around with Move 3, which swaps the top-right corners.
There are always 2 corners that can be placed correctly but they can be hard to find. Check the corners: if you don’t find 2 in the right place, turn the top layer a quarter turn and check again. Keep looking until you find them!
1. If 2 neighboring corners are correctly placed, hold the cube with these corners on the left to do the move.
2. If opposite corners are correctly placed, you will have to do Move 3 twice, the first time with any face forward. Then put the good corners on the left and repeat the move.
Great job. We’re so close now. Get ready to solve this cube by going on to Step 5.
If you’re just arriving on our website, the fastest way to solve the third layer of the Rubik’s Cube is to start here, which will make the steps below fly by quickly.
Flip your Rubik’s Cube over so yellow is down and white is up. In this step you will make a cross on the top using Move 2. You may have to repeat it a few times but you don’t have to match up the sides yet.
Move 2 works when the left and back pieces match the center. Can you rotate the cube to get that pattern? If so, hold the cube that way and do the move.
If not, do Move 2 with any face in front, then look for the left-back-middle pattern. It may take a couple repetitions, but you will get it. Then hold the cube as above and do Move 2 again.
The move sentence is different for this one. “FUR” stands for the first 3 turns, which are clockwise. Then you turn “BACK” for the U R and F turns.
|There is FUR on the
Got it? Great job! We’re almost there. Now onto step 4.
After you have a yellow cross on top, you can solve the yellow corners.
- Find the Yellow-Red-Blue corner piece. If it is in the top layer, hold your cube so this piece is at the top-right. Move it down to the bottom like this:
- Turn the bottom so the Yellow-Red-Blue piece is at the corner of the red and blue sides. The corner piece will be oriented in 1 of 3 ways:
- Find the yellow side of the Yellow-Red-Blue corner piece.
- If the yellow side is on the right, do these turns:
- If the yellow side is in front, do these turns:
- If the yellow side is on the bottom, do these turns. That puts the yellow side on the right, so do the turns under “a”, above to solve the corner.
Solve the other 3 corners the same way, then go to Step 2.